Occupational Health & Safety Management System
ISO 45001 is an international standard that defines the requirements for the implementation of an Occupational Health & Safety Management System.
The Occupational Health & Safety Management System can be implemented by any organization regardless of size, type and nature, from small low-risk organizations to large ones with significant risk and procedural complexity.
The ISO 45001 standard follows the High-Level Structure (Annex SL) of other ISO standards, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, which facilitates the integration with them.
The implementation of an ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management System helps an organization to improve its performance in the areas of occupational risks and occupational safety, through:
- the establishment of procedures that take into account the occupational risks, the improvement potential, and legal and other requirements,
- the identification of risks associated with the organization’s activities, in order to eliminate them or to implement controls to reduce their impact,
- active participation of employees in health and safety issues,
- assessment of the System’s performance, with the aim of improving it through appropriate actions.
The benefits of implementing a certified Occupational Health & Safety Management System according to ISO 45001 are summarized below:
- Providing a safe and healthy working environment
- Organization compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Reduction in the number, extent, and severity of work incidents/accidents, along with increased organization productivity
- Prevention and preparedness in incident management
- Fostering a health and safety culture among leadership and staff
- Improved staff morale
- Improved organization reputation due to improved working conditions
- Competitive edge in the market
Management System Assessment
- The initial assessment of the Management System is conducted in 2 stages (stage 1: System documentation review; stage 2: System implementation review).
- The certificate’s validity is three years.
- During the period of validity, surveillance audits (2) are conducted annually to verify the seamless implementation of the Management System.
- Certification is renewed following the re-assessment of the Management System before the expiration of the current certificate.
A detailed description of the assessment and certification procedure is included in the ERGOCERT HELLAS S.A. Certification Regulation.