Inspection of Steel Static Storage Systems
Towards the goal of safe works execution and maximum protection of employees and goods, ERGOCERT HELLAS SA undertakes PERIODIC INSPECTIONS OF STEEL STATIC STORAGE SYSTEMS, by experienced and accredited inspectors-engineers.
Requirements and control standards
Inspections are conducted in accordance with the EN 15635 European Control Standard, “Static steel storage systems – Application and maintenance of storage equipment”, as supplemented by the EN 15629 standard, “Static steel storage systems – Specification of storage equipment”, and the EN 15620 standard, “Static steel storage systems – Tolerances, deformations and clearances”. Any inspection specifications and instructions from the manufacturer are also taken into account.
Audit – Inspection
- Review of construction and installation plans and certificates for the existing system.
- Check maximum load readings and warning signs by location.
- Check the correct placement of loads in the stacking units and storage locations, in accordance with standard instructions.
- Check the adequacy of storage location dimensions.
- Check the structural elements (beams, shelves, mounting brackets, etc.) for the presence of faults due to impacts with lifting machines. Faults are assessed based on the 3-category risk measurement and assessment system stipulated in the relevant standard.
- Check the vertical deviation of metal structural elements.
- Check the condition and operation of connecting fittings and connections of the bearing plates with the structure’s columns (screws, nuts, bolts, etc.).
- Check for the presence of cracks and failures in the structural elements’ parent material and welding.
- Check the condition of the industrial flooring in regard to base supports, mountings, etc.
- Verify the required dimensions of corridors and access openings.
- Control and assess horizontal beam deformations on loaded and unloaded shelves. Control and assess the operational condition and adequacy of materials and machinery used (e.g., pallets, containers, forklifts, etc.)
- Check specific requirements, as appropriate, of the installed systems (e.g., drive in type shelves).
Additional optional controls
Sample static tests with overload at 150% of the nominal design loads, in order to measure the bending arrow and assess the behavior of the shelves under the corresponding stress.
Periodicity of inspection
- In accordance with the provisions of EN 15635 and in the context of correct use and maintenance, inspection by qualified technical personnel must be conducted at intervals of no more than 12 months.
Sampling check – Comprehensive check
An inspection may include all the shelves in a warehouse, or a sample thereof. It is recommended that the first inspection cover all the storage shelves, and that sampling checks be conducted thereafter on a percentage of shelves to be agreed.
A Certificate of Conformity is issued if the results of the audit are deemed acceptable in accordance with the requirements and specifications. In any case, the detailed audit results are recorded in an Audit Report.